Happy New Year, everyone! It’s that time of year again. Everyone is realizing all that they want to do with their lives and all that they haven’t done in the previous year. I’ve never been one to really set goals or resolutions because I feel like doing so adds so much pressure. But this year, I’m giving myself permission to add or subtract from my goals as time goes by, but I still think that recording them now is a good idea because I can go back in December and see how many of these goals I kept up with and how I changed.
So, without further ado, here are my 2018 goals and resolutions:
- Read at least 40 books in 2018. My original goal for 2017 was to read 50 books, and I was doing pretty well until I decided to read It by Stephen King. That book completely got me off track and I decided to lower my reading goal to 40 books sometime in October (sadly, I still only made it to 37). So for 2018, I was going to attempt to read 50 books again, but ultimately I think that will cause me too much stress. So, I’m shooting for 40; who knows, maybe I’ll read more.
- Participate in reading challenges. I have already decided to participate in three reading challenges in 2018: The Mount TBR Challenge, The A-Z Reading Challenge, and the POPSUGAR Reading Challenge, all of which I hope will go hand-in-hand and will help me to be more purposeful about my reading. You can learn more about my reading challenges in this post.
Personal + Professional Goals
- Decide on and pursue a certificate to further my career. Lately, I have been contemplating the age-old question: what do I want to do with my life? I have wanted to be an editor for a few years now, but I am also considering other options (a topic for another post). While I would love to get my Master’s degree, I continually doubt whether the timing is right. I recently realized that degrees are not the only route to success; in fact, a lot of people have specialized certificates that help to further their careers. I am considering a few different options right now, but one of my goals is to decide on the direction in which I want to go, and to get started in 2018.
- Upload 3 blog posts a week. I started my blog in August, and I never really thought I’d stick with it, but I have. It’s become such a creative outlet for me and I’ve fallen in love with it. I plan to post on a more regular schedule and to really embrace the blogger life.
- Continue daily (or semi-daily) journaling. This is something that I started doing at the end of November, and I’ve really been enjoying it. I’ve always been a sucker for journals, pens, and, of course, writing. But, as I’m sure you know if you’ve ever tried journaling before, it’s pretty hard to keep up with. I think this is due to two things: not having a scheduled writing time and not knowing what your purpose for writing is. I’ve found that the best time for me to journal is in the morning right after I’ve gotten to work (I am lucky to work in a fairly laid-back environment). Daily journaling has really helped me to hone in on any worries that might be bugging me, as well as to put them to rest. This is something I definitely want to keep up with in 2018.
- Put my mental health first. My hope is that some of my personal goals will help me to achieve this resolution for 2018. I am going to try to live by the mantra: “it’s never as bad as you think it’s going to be,” because I’ve come to realize that so many of the times that I’ve stressed and agonized about a situation, it ended up being no big deal. I am going to try to focus on what causes me stress and anxiety, and then figure out how to fix it.
- Travel more. My husband and I fell in love with traveling when we went to Colorado for our honeymoon, and we have been itching to see more of the US (and the world) ever since. In 2017, we managed to go to Florida (it was my husband’s first time there), which was so much fun. So I’m 2018, I hope to travel and expand my horizons.
What are some of your goals and resolutions for 2018? I wish everyone a happy, healthy, and prosperous new year!